In 1911, a group of volunteers, then known as the Women's Auxiliary Board, began to endow St. Margaret Memorial Hospital (now UPMC St. Margaret) with its warm and personal character. Members of the Women's Auxiliary Board acted as the eyes and ears within the hospital's walls. They were capable, hardworking women who gave generously of their time for those less fortunate than themselves.
In addition to ensuring the well-being of the less fortunate, the Auxiliary turned its attention to the heart of the hospital, the Chapel, in the early 1950s. With the help of the Auxiliary, the Chapel was repainted and reopened in 1955 after a short-term closure, with a new altarpiece and a rebuilt 1200-pipe organ. From 1911 to today, the Auxiliary has supported St. Margaret Hospital and made it a uniquely hospitable place.